Friday, October 29, 2010

Colonial American Cooking

I have discovered that I really enjoy cooking foods and dishes from other countries and different eras. We have been cooking some colonial dishes, some gross but most really good. We get most of our recipes from Hasty Pudding, Johnny Cakes. We also are using Colonial Days by David C. King. Otherwise I will note.

So far we have made New England Clam Chowder, candied orange peels, colonial apples, maple wheaton bread, and maple cream candy. Most all of these took a rather extraordinary amount of time, and all I had to do was pick up a couple of ingredients at the supermarket. Imagine making your own butter, tapping your own sap, making who knows how many loaves of bread.

The candied orange peels I won't even include the recipe for, as they were, ahem, disgusting. The clam chowder was good, colonial apples were strange but good. The maple wheaton bread had a strange, unfamiliar texture, but we ate it. It took such a long time of kneading, I don't know why I didn't dig out the bread maker, even if just to knead it! And the most delicious was the maple cream candy. It was rich, but so very good.

I got most of them out of the above books, which our library had, but I can share the recipe for colonial apples.

Easy ingredients, which I had all on hand.



Simmer thinly sliced apples with 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup honey until apples are transparent.� When done, top with half and half.� It was strangely delicious!




Julie

1 comment:

  1. How fun. We are doing American Indians now but will start colonial times in just a few weeks.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete