Saturday, April 16, 2011

Science Notebooking



I want to incorporate more science notebooking, but I am kind of at a loss on where to begin.  Last year I had a nicely organized folder on my computer, labeled by week of science curriculum with nice little lapbooking components to fill out and paste into our 3-ring binders.  Well . . . that didn't happen!  They are still in their little folders, unused.  This seems to work for history, but it hasn't worked in our homeschool for science.

So, I need to simplify and start with something easy.  I am seriously overwhelmed by the number of 3-ring binders in our home.  Where will all of these beasts fit?  There is no room!  I am considering trying to find a bound notebook with unlined pages that can be used for sketches and we can glue an occasional graphic from an Usborne link, photos of science experiments and projects.  I think we could even staple in like a flap a science notebooking page found at various notebooking sites.

I need ideas!  I think the little minibooks and such are great ideas!  But how to incorporate them?  I don't print up a whole year's worth of pre-made minibooks, as sometimes our needs change and we just didn't cover something or we don't need to cement an idea in.  Does that make sense?  So, I think we'll print out some generic minibooks of all sizes and shapes and use Usborne graphics and such things to fancy it up.

What do you think?

 

Julie

6 comments:

  1. I really like using Sketch books. The papers are thick and sturdy and will hold up well against lots of gluing! They are also great for nature walks since the pages are so thick you won't need to take a clipboard. I usually get mine from Walmart or Michaels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a lot of experience with notebooking or lapbooking. But from what I've seen, I have to be much more free flowing than that. So far for my daughter, I created a lapbook that had quite a few elements in it, but was empty. And now, I'm letting her fill in the little elements with whatever she wants to. Sometimes I print pictures for her and sometimes she cuts stuff out or just colors on it. So there is no organization or order, but its her's! I'm sure I'll be a little more rigid when I want to to be about a certain theme when she is older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how it's been for me. I'm trying to be a little more loose in the notebooking, as my 1st grader can't write as much as some of the notebooking requires. I like how its their creation, like you said, free flowing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a resource that might work for you. http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Science-Resource-Book-Grades/dp/1557996962 Good luck in finding what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have looked at this before, and I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete