Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spicing Up Boring Notebook Pages


 
.


I really didn't like the notebooking pages that came with our curriculum.  They didn't really have much to do, and the pages that did seemed to be a repeat of the one before.  I didn't use many of them, but I wanted the girls to learn more about some American inventions and didn't have enough time to create some new ones, so I tried to spice up the material we had.

As you can see, the page is rather dry.  One idea would be to use the picture by cutting it out and pasting to a new page with writing lines.  Alternatively, you could use the text for copywork and choose a sentence or two to write on a generic notebooking page.

To make things as easy as possible, I found some pictures on Google and made some flaps at the bottom, as you can see in the picture.  It's still kinda boring.

What would you have done with this page?  :)

Julie

8 comments:

  1. The WP notebooking pages are pretty sad, Julie. (I'm a fan of Winter Promise, but this is a good example of where they miss the mark on taking their product to the higher level of excellence.) I think you've done a good job here of dressing it up. We used to cut the pages all apart and stick the image/words on other pages, interspersing our own ideas around/in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the same problem. i've picked out some of the more fun ones to do and am going to start making my own Notebook pages using the information from the ones that came from my curriculum. i found if i don't do a few then we miss out on some stuff that i have to cover again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the lovely drawings and the little book. My kids love minibooks that they stick on their notebook pages. My youngest often draws her narrations, so we would possibly cut out what we liked and paste it on half a page and illustrate or write in the rest of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful idea. I'll use it, as our girls are young. They love to draw every day so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Jimmie. I wonder how the other program's notebooking pages are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope to make some more pages also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with cutting things out and pasting them on another page with original things in between. I might even have the kids totally make their own version of this page, do their own drawing of the reaper and copy the text or write their own. My kids are older so I hand them a blank piece of paper and have them notebook about a topic. They have to look it up, name their source and do the whole page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really great ideas! I love having the girls do their own drawings on notebooking pages. It will be interesting to see how our notebooking morphs from younger years to older years.

    ReplyDelete