Sunday, August 28, 2011

Freestyle Notebooking


During our study of Ancient Egypt this week, I forgot to print off some notebook pages that I get at Notebooking Pages.com.  As I went to print them, I realized there was something wrong with my printer and I couldn't get the pages I wanted right away.


We were studying the merging of Upper and Lower Egypt through Narmer, and I wanted the girls to copy their narrations soon so they wouldn't forget.  What to do?  What to do?  If I have them copy right away, it wouldn't be on their notebooking page.

I decided to have them copy their narration on plain wide-ruled paper, cut it out, paste it on a plain white piece of paper and draw or glue Ancient Egypt-related clip art found free all over the place!  Here are the pages created solely by themselves, and I am very pleased.  I know I'm not reinventing the wheel here, but it was the first time I decided to "take a risk" and wing it. :)

A child's creativity can really shine in an assignment like this, don't you think?

This first one is Dreamer's (7).  She colored in her text, which I asked her not to, but she forgot I guess.  ;)  I normally ask them not to color over their narration/copywork text, but it's still beautiful if you ask me!





Freestyle Egyptian notebook page





Coco's (8) Egyptian freestyle notebook page
[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="461" caption="Coco's (8) Egyptian freestyle notebook page"]



What things have you done in a "freestyle" type of notebooking creation?  Please let me know!  I'm always looking for good ideas.

Julie

2 comments:

  1. Nice job! Several years ago I made my own notebooking pages just using clipart from the web. I had no idea that what we were doing was called "notebooking", nor that I could have saved myself the (enjoyable!) trouble and just bought pages from NotebookingPages.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I'm still on the learning curve for putting together my own notebooking pages. Your daughters' look great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete