Thursday, July 24, 2014

American History Part 2 Supplement Schedule

I made this schedule to supplement Sonlight Core E®.  This schedule and this author are not affiliated with Sonlight® in any way.

As usual, there are tons of ideas here, and they will work with any American history curriculum.  We certainly don't use all the ideas in this schedule, but pick and choose.  Sometimes we're just not in the mood to do something, and we simply skip it!

I've scheduled a wrap-up of the state study started in last year's schedule.  The states were scheduled as they entered the union.  Since this schedule is from Civil War to present, any states which entered after 1850 are included in this schedule.

There is also a president study starting on week 21.  I am using a book called Smart About the Presidents to help me out.  We will simply read a short 2-page spread on each president, complete some lapbook components that I found for free on Homeschool Share, and I created some president flashcards to help us remember them all.  All the links are included in the schedule.

Other than that, we've got plenty of internet links (which sometimes go dead), activities found on the internet, time period recipes, activity books, a few extra books (which we don't always get to), and lots of notebooking.

I hope you find it helpful in fleshing out your history books this year!

American History Part 2 supplement schedule


Julie

7 comments:

  1. I wonder just how long it will take me to do this core. :) I'm glad for the schedules (yours and SL) so that I can just keep moving forward with whatever we decide to pursue. I could get stuck on some of these areas for a very long time. As always thank you, Julie. You are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have intentions of doing 1 week in 1 week, but it usually stretches us out to 1-1/2 weeks per SL week. Then I wonder why I'm scrambling at the end of the calendar year to finish the core! :D

      Delete
  2. Hey, I just posted a link to your blog on the Facebook group called Sonlight Core D + E families. You might want to check it out if you aren't already a member. It's a good group of moms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie, thank you for sharing this schedule! It's amazing and I can't wait to start :) A quick question - what is "WP Can-Do" under Activities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I knew something would sneak by! I actually have 2 copies of this schedule, one with stuff that I wanted to do, including WinterPromise's Can Do activities from their American Cultures program. I don't know what possessed me to splurge on this, as it is pricey, but I like it a lot. The other copy was the one I intended to share, the one without the WP Can Do. Like I said, it's pricey so I didn't include it and felt it wasn't necessary. I'm going to take it out and update the schedule here, but I'm so sorry for the confusion. I have a tendency to add too much!

      Delete
    2. Also, I never intended to keep the Bible portion of the schedule. That was my addition as well from WP. For those reading after I took out the WinterPromise additions, if you want that schedule, just comment with your email address and I'll send that to you. Bible and the Can-Do are not on this updated version.

      Delete
    3. Another note: The Later American Painter Appreciation unit is being released tomorrow, July 28, 2014. The link won't work today (July 27th), but will tomorrow!

      Delete