Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Why in the World Would I Homeschool?!


If you would have asked me fifteen years ago about homeschooling, I would have given you a blank stare and asked, "What's that?"  Homeschooling was not even on my radar.  Granted, I was really young and not thinking of even having kids yet.

When Coconut was 3, I began traveling around our city, checking out various preschools, gathering information responsibly.  All the while, in the back of my mind I wondered about that crazy homeschooling thing.  I had met several (actually many) homeschooling families in my community, and didn't even know people actually did such a thing.  I didn't look down upon those that chose to homeschool, but looked on with mild curiosity.

I informed Joey of my preschool worthiness findings, and he would nod his head.  We didn't need to think about it quite yet.  Out of the blue one day, he asked me if I would considering homeschooling.  What?!  Um, no.  Too weird, too scary, too...unknown.  I started thinking about this option more.  Wait, now its an option?!  After all, wasn't I thinking about it before Joey even mentioned it to me?  Maybe this is what we're supposed to do?

After I researched homeschooling for hours upon hours upon hours, I told Joey that why don't we just try preschool and see how it goes?  Eight years later, we're still at it.

We still take it year by year and are totally open to public school if that is what the girls need.  We're not anti-school at all, and will continue to take it year by year, evaluating each child.  Maybe one day we'll school only one at home while the other two enter school, maybe not.  We'll see.  We both agree we would like them to each try at least one year in public school, 8th or 9th grade, and we hope to give them a say in their education as they approach high school.

I am a book fiend, and I never learned so much history as though historical fiction, so Sonlight had me hooked. I tried a different curriculum one year with hands-on activities, but I found myself substituting the other curriculum's books with Sonlight books and figured I should just go back to Sonlight.  We've been sonlighting ever since.

Homeschooling has really just become a way of life for us.  It's what we do.  Right now, I can't see it another way, but that may change. 


Julie

Click below to read other Sonlight family's blogs!


Sonlight Blog Party

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post [smile]. I love how natural homeschooling becomes after being so "strange" when people first hear about it. Great story!

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. We take it one year at a time too. My oldest ended up going to a private school and really liked it. It was good for him. My other two are still at home. I don't forsee them going to school but I've learned with the first one..."You never know!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you guys! Historical fictions are one of my guiltiest of pleasures! Love all the books in Sonlight's curriculum too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way going in... and we ended up just loving all the books as well. Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading your story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you! I adore historical fiction <3
    Thanks for sharing your story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I am a fellow "Sonlighter" and I was wondering if you created a Sonlight Core C grid with SOTW? We used your grid for Core B and LOVE IT!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the reason I didn't share it years ago, but I'm updating it now to use it with Core C. It should be out before the new school year, so hopefully that helps?

      Delete
    2. Wait, I remember. I lost the original grid schedule in my computer crash years ago, but I have the hard copy that I had printed for my girls. I have to re-enter all the information and correct any broken links.

      Delete